Friday, November 5, 2010

Hitchhikers



Midway through the summer, I noticed two plants that were growing in the beginning of a new perennial bed. I didn't know where they came from, as I hadn't planted them. Throughout the end of the summer and the fall, they have continued to flourish. I was suspicious that they came from my friend, Sharon's, garden when I moved some peonies from her place to mine back in the Spring. The mystery plants were beside the peonies. In fact, they look like they might choke out the peonies.

I took a couple of pictures and sent them to Sharon, asking if she knew what they were and indicating my belief that they might have hitchhiked in from her garden. She thought they might be giant poppies, which she has out there where we dug up the peonies. She said the poppies really get big in the fall. So, that's what I think they are. I'll have to move them in the Spring, but I am interested in seeing if they come back and bloom.

No comments: