Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Station Agent

Newsweek, in their new format (which I detest), has a section titled something along the line of "Best Movies Ever." Two weeks ago, I noticed that they had listed The Station Agent, and I decided it was time to watch it. It came out in 2003, but even though it got rave reviews, I still had never got around to viewing it.

I put it in my Netflix queue and moved it to the top of the list. It was in my mailbox two days later. And when I watched it, I just loved it, this story of a dwarf who moves to a new town and into the old railroad station that he was inherited. He just really wants to be left along, but the people around him can't seem to let that happen. I sat a lot of the time with a big smile on my face as events transpired, I was so delighted with the tale. This is the type of story that is one of my favorites: a community (whether it be of 3 or 4 or 5 people of unlikely and disparate backgrounds) that comes together. It just absolutely rocked.

After it finished I wondered, as I often do in these situations, what took me so long! When I told Dave about it a few days later, he decided he wanted to see it. I had already sent it back to Netflix, so I went to the queue again, put it back in, and moved it to the top. I can't wait to watch it for the second time.

No comments: