Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Bird Girl

I have a replica of the 'Bird Girl' in my garden. Here she is.



This statue is a favorite of mine; the original is long associated with Savannah and featured in the book and movie, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." It stands to reason that the statue would be dear to me, as Savannah is my favorite city in the U.S. I have seen the original sculpture; she is in the Telfair Museum of Art in Savannah. Originally she was at a family cemetery plot at Bonaventure Cemetery. After the popularity of the book and movie, and due to concerns about traffic at the cemetery and grave site, she was moved to the museum.

The sculpture was created by Sylvia Shaw Judson and (like the Statue of Liberty) there were a number of copies made. The one in Savannah is most famous, but is one of four that Judson created in bronze from a plaster cast.

Dave bought me that replica some years ago, and she originally stood on the other side of the perennial garden, on the garden wall, where she fell off every time the weather was windy (in other words, very frequently). Finally last year Dave decided to put an end to her shenanigans, and he installed her onto a piece of rebar. Then he located her into the garden itself, where she looks towards the house, at the sunroom. I have enjoyed so much looking out at her all the past winter.

No comments: