Sunday, March 8, 2009

My Berlin Marathon Medal


A houseguest asked last week about the medal that is framed and sits on a stand on our mantel. I explained that it is the participation medal that I received when I ran in my first and only marathon in Berlin. That was quite the day in 1990; it was the first marathon after the wall came down and the first time that the route wound through both east and west Berlin. My girlfriend, Tammy, and I ran together the entire race. David was all over the route; he rode the subway around town with a map so that he could cheer us on from strategic places. It was quite an experience and of course I am proud that I finished the race.

The medal languished around our house for years, stuffed into a box, tumbling out when one of us dug through that box looking for something. David fished it out one day and squirreled it away for a while, feeling that it deserved a more honorable storage place. Finally he reached a decision point; he decided to have the medal framed to place in a visible spot to remind me that I can do whatever I put my mind to. He took it to my buddy Janet's frame shop and she fixed it up beautifully.

The mantel is a perfect spot for it. Sometimes when I walk through the room I glance at it and it reminds me that anything is possible.

No comments: