Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Onset of Fall

I used to hate Fall. Fall was the precurser of Winter and Winter was my scourge--I had to drive in it. These were during the days when I was a road warrior, driving nearly 40 miles one way to the infamous Denver Tech Center. I dreaded snow. I dwelled on the weather reports and prayed for a warm front, or at least a phone call giving me a repreve on coming to work due to the weather. Those phone calls rarely came.

I can recall days when the roads were astonishingly bad. I prayed for hours solid--the same amount of time I spent in the car, skidding along those roads. Once I flew into DIA and upon arrival found a snowstorm going on. I drove to the nearest motel and stayed there for the night, unable to conceive of driving home in a near blizzard after a grueling trip to do lay-offs.

But now my outlook on Fall and Winter has changed. I like both of these seasons! The change came about when I spent three years working from my home; and specifically from the sunroom on our house, where I looked out upon the seasons. I enjoy Fall--the change in my trees as they drop their leaves and go dormant. I love sitting in the sunroom and watching the snow come down. There is something comforting about being bundled up in the safe indoors and gazing upon the snowstorm.

So now, this year, I observe the yellow and red and orange trees with pleasure, along with the remaining birds--blue jays and finches and a squirrel. I know the snow will be next and I will welcome it.

No comments: