Sunday, October 26, 2008

Five Funerals in One Year

Yesterday I went to my fifth funeral in a year. It has been dragging down, wearing over the time. The cycle started a year ago this week with the death of Hudson, my father-in-law. It continued on in April with Jelene, followed by the biggest shock of all in August, my brother Mike. Three weeks ago, VM Davis passed away, and yesterday I attended the service for our friend Frank, who finally succumbed to his battle with cancer.

I know that Death is part of the cycle of life, and yet, I resent that I have had to catch up so much this year. Prior, I could probably count the number of funerals I attended in my life on one hand. I have made up for all of that. I know the rote words to say: "I am so sorry for your loss." I know that those words can't really do much to alleviate the pain. Even though VM was 88 years old and had lived a good life, his family was still as broken-hearted over his loss as mine was over the loss of Mike.

I hope that I can have a break from all of this death.

No comments: