Sunday, June 19, 2011

That 'Grease' Moment

Last night Dave and I were eating dinner at a new restaurant in our town of Louisville. The theme of the place revolved around the movies and there were movie posters plastering the walls for such icons as "The Wizard of Oz," "Star Wars," "Indiana Jones," and "Back to the Future." Just across from our table was the poster from "Saturday Night Fever."

In one of those stream of consciousness moments, my thoughts went to another John Travolta movie that was not represented on the walls of the restaurant: "Grease." The movie came out in 1978 and I still remember seeing it and loving it. But the moment that I recalled and related to David during dinner happened years later. I was working for a big company in Denver, and one day for some kind of team activity, my group went to the movies. I have no idea what the movie was that we went to see, which makes me smile. It was 1997, and the theater was full. Wish I could remember the show. Nevertheless, during the previews--out of nowhere it seemed to me--the screen flashed to John Travolta as Danny in Grease and that distinctive opening riff from the song "You're The One That I Love" began to play and after a split second, most of the women in the movie theater began to scream.

I still smile thinking about it. It was just this remarkable, funny, and charming moment. It turned out that "Grease" was going back into the theaters for a limited release and that was why they were previewing it.

When I related this to David, he asked if I screamed, too. I thought for a moment and then had to say, "Yes, I think so."

No comments: