Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Becoming a Bass Player

After almost three and a half years, some days (but not all days) I feel like a bass player. This past weekend, I jammed at the Mid-Winter Bluegrass Festival and for the first time, I felt like I could play with the big boys. It seems like a long time coming; this is the fourth year that I was there with my bass. This year, I could just walk around with my instrument and join up with even the really good musicians. Whoa!

Then last night Dave and I went to the Lyons jam and I listened to and watched Eric Thorin play bass--that brought me back off my Mid-Winter cloud for sure. He is jaw-droppingly good and one of the best bluegrass bass players out there. Viewing him made me feel like I was back to being a beginner.

Okay, well, even so, I am happy with where I am. I have made good progress and can play well. I can't do the fancy stuff yet; that's where my skills are lacking.

Give me a couple more years though--fancy stuff, here I come!

No comments: